Joe's Movie Reviews

Friday, January 23, 2009

What Should And WIll Win At The Oscars

Well, the Oscar nominations were released yesterday. I obviously don't vote for them, but if I DID, here's what I would have voted for, along with what I think probably WILL win (we'll see if I'm any better at predictions this time than I have been in the past). I should add that I very much like many of the films and performances I didn't say "should" win, especially "Slumdog Millionaire", so don't take my not "voting" for them to be negative. And I think it's kind of interesting that after winning a SUPPORTING Actress Golden Globe for "The Reader", Kate Winsley is nominated for an Oscar as LEAD Actress in the very same role.

Incidentally, since it would take so much extra time and the complete nominations list has been published and WILL be published in so many different newspapers and magazines as well as online, I won't be including ALL nominees here, just the "will" and "should" wins.
******************************************************************************
ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Should win: Peter Morgan, "Frost/Nixon"
Will win: Simon Beaufoy, "Slumdog Millionaire"
Nominee in this category I have yet to see: "The Reader"

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Should win: Courtney Hunt, "Frozen River"
Will win: Dustin Lance Black, "Milk"
Nominee in this category I have yet to see: "Happy Go Lucky"

ANIMATED FEATURE
Should win: Wall.E
Will win: Wall.E

DIRECTOR
Should win: Ron Howard, "Frost/Nixon"
Will win: Danny Boyle, "Slumdog Millionaire"
Nominee in this category I have yet to see: "The Reader"

SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Should win: Viola Davis, "Doubt"
Will win: Viola Davis, "Doubt"
Nominee in this category I have yet to see: Marisa Tomei, "The Wrestler"

SUPPORTING ACTOR
Should win: Heath Ledger, "The Dark Knight"
Will win: Heath Ledger, "The Dark Knight"
Nominee in this category I have yet to see: Michael Shannon, "Revolutionary Road"

ACTRESS
Should win: Melissa Leo, "Frozen River"
Will win: Kate Winslet, "The Reader"
Nominee in this category I have yet to see: Winslet

ACTOR
Should win: Frank Langella, "Frost/Nixon"
Will win: Sean Penn, "Milk" (Though I think it's a real possibility that
Micky Rourke might sneak past him for "The Wrestler")
Nominee in this category I have yet to see: Rourke

FILM
Should win: "Frost/Nixon"
Will win: "Slumdog Millionaire"
Nominee in this category I have yet to see: "The Reader"

So, now we'll see...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home