Joe's Movie Reviews

Friday, January 02, 2009

Favorites Of 2008

I call it that and not "Best" because I make no claims to "knowing" anything about any subjective qualities that make a movie the definitive "best"... these are just the ones that most impressed ME. And remember that since I see most movies second run, the Art House list is very unrepresentative of the year... there are a WHOLE lot of art house movies I'd probably have loved that I never saw, since most of them never play the second run theatres. These are simply my favorites of what I DID see.

Also, I know the studios like to put out movies they have real Oscar hopes for in a couple of theatres in New York and L.A. in December, and everywhere else in January. I do NOT go along with the notion that these are 2008 releases. If 99 point 9 percent of the country doesn't get to see a movie until 2009, then as far as I'm concerned it's a 2009 release, period. I'm not a member of the Academy (AMPAS)and I'm under no obligation to follow their rules if I think they're stupid. So, for instance, Clint Eastwood's "Gran Torino" (which I am looking forward to), which opens almost everywhere on January 9th, is a 2009 release by my standards and will be eligible for the commercial list NEXT year.

And once in a great while, a movie will open in Art House type theatres, and later expand into regular commercial multiplexes (for instance, "Milk" and "Slumdog Millionaire"). In those cases, I count the film on the Art House side. That's why, for instance, you'll see "Under The Same Moon" on my Art House list, in spite of the fact that I saw it at the very commercial second run discount house, the Hopkins (and I'm very grateful that in that one instance, a commercial theatre was willing to show such a film... thank you, Hopkins and your parent company, Mann Theatres, for also screening second runs of such indie and "art" type films as "Sicko" and "Away From Her" (last year), and "The Duchess", "Young At Heart" and "Son Of Rambow" this year.). And to the Riverview (my favorite Twin Cities theatre), where I was able to see second runs of "The Band's Visit" (Israel) and "The Counterfeiters" (Germany). If only more second run theatres would do the same.


FAVORITE COMMERCIAL RELEASES OF 2008

10. Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day
9. Burn After Reading
8. Australia
7. Iron Man
6. Doubt
5. Seven Pounds
4. Wall.E
3. Changeling
2. The Dark Knight
1. Frost/Nixon

FAVORITE ART HOUSE RELEASES OF 2008

10. Under The Same Moon (Mexico)
9. Strawberry Shortcakes (Japan)
8. The Visitor (USA)
7. Young A Heart (England)
6. The Unknown Woman (Italy)
5. Man On Wire (USA/France)
4. Milk (USA)
3. Let The Right One In (Sweden)
2. Frozen River (USA)
1. Slumdog Millionaire (England/India)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home