Joe's Movie Reviews

Thursday, December 28, 2006

Top Tens



Even though I've stated that I don't see much purpose in reviewing films I see second-run, I've still seen enough new releases (through free previews and such) since I last posted on this site back in the stone age to have filled a few more columns. And I do hope to get back to doing that soon (I also hope to bring permanent peace on earth and a cure for all diseases, but I suspect my chances are slightly better with the movie review thing... just slightly). In the meantime: a few years ago, I was one of several movie fanatics profiled in a Pioneer Press article called "Movie Addicts" where you learned that in calendar 2001 I saw a total of 391 movies, more than one for each day of the year. In 2006, I will have seen 141 films... down 250, and closer to one for every 2 1/2 days of the year. And that's including a certain amount of retro titles that can't be counted as 2006 releases. I wondered whether there was even a point to doing the usual top ten lists (one for commercial theatres and one for art houses), especially the art house list, since I've only been able to see a small fraction of 2006's local art house releases. But I figured that if there actually is anyone who still keeps coming to this site after all this time, eagerly anticipating not finding any new postings and breathing a huge sigh of relief at their narrow escape once again, well, I don't want them to get too complacent. Once in a while they should have to suffer a little, so they can appreciate the good things in life. Therefore, I present the Joe Bunce list of favorite films seen in commercial theatres and in art houses during 2006. If there's some really great movie you think should be on this list but isn't... it's entirely possible that I didn't see it.

COMMERCIAL THEATRES

10. The Prestige (Riverview)
9. Inside Man (Har Mar)
8. Flags Of Our Fathers (Riverview)
7. Akeelah And The Bee (Riverview)
6. Hollywoodland (Hopkins)
5. A Prairie Home Companion (Hopkins)
4. A Scanner Darkly (Riverview)
3. V For Vendetta (Roseville Four)
2. Thank You For Smoking (Southdale)
1. The Departed (Highland)

ART HOUSES

10. Street Fight (USA) (Mpls./St. Paul International
Film Festival, MSPIFF)
9. The Illusionist (USA) (Uptown)
8. Gilaneh (Iran) (Walker Art Center)
7. Cache (France) (Edina)
6. Jesus Camp (USA) (Lagoon)
5. An Inconvenient Truth (USA) (Lagoon)
4. The Great New Wonderful (USA) (Parkway)
3. The Shutka Book Of Records (Serbia) (MSPIFF)
2. Tristram Shandy (England) (Lagoon)
1. The Hidden Blade (Japan) (MSPIFF)

Watch this site for news about the exciting return of ongoing movie reviews to this very spot! After all, you'll want to know when to avoid it!

__________________________________________________

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home